Author Spotlight: C.M. Healy
This author spotlight episode, we welcomed on the show C.M. Healy. C.M. is an author of children’s books ranging from early readers to poetry collections, and he also has published two YA Fantasy novels in his ‘Beyond the After’ series. We greatly enjoyed talking to C.M. about his books and his process.
– To begin, we asked C.M. our favorite question: how did he get started writing? C.M. started writing in sixth grade, but it wasn’t until about six years ago that he started taking writing seriously and self-publishing his books. To get his first novel completed, he put aside many of his usual hobbies and focused solely on the book during any free time.
– We then talked about a few differences between print on demand and mass printing books, and the risks, including a few mistakes C.M. made. We also talk of the benefits of mass printing (especially in regards to illustrated children’s books) later.
– Our next question was focused around the juggle of work, writing, and home life. C.M. did admit that for him, writing isn’t the first priority. His first priority is to his family and his day job teaching high school-level chemistry. In between, he attempts to find time to write and hopes that one day his writing will be able to support him and his family fulltime.
– Some of C.M.’s favorite authors are Shel Silverstein, Frank Peretti, and Stephen King. C.M. has not taken any classes, but his wife is a great help with improving his writing and editing his books. For bigger books, he also hires an editor to go through his manuscripts.
– We looked deeper into C.M.’s process. He defined himself as a little bit of both when answering the question of whether he was a pantser or plotter, but he did lean towards the side of plotting, as he finds this is a good way of ensuring a smoother experience writing, which then translates into a nice flow for his readers.
– We then talked about C.M.’s books, which include a range of children’s books and also two YA novels in his ‘Beyond the After’ series.
– We then discussed his publishing company, Mercury West Publishing. C.M. aids authors in publishing their novels and developing a professional product. He is a big advocate of other new authors. He isn’t looking to take a percentage of author royalties, as he wants to help authors get as big a ‘piece of the pie’ as they can, but he charges a small flat fee to help set the book up.
– C.M.’s top tip was to collect emails in anyway you can. C.M. has a QR code that links to his mailing list, so people can easily sign up when he is promoting and selling his book at stands outside of shops and when he is on the go.
– To learn more about C.M. Healy and his books, visit his website.
Leave A Comment